Diff Lab operates in Queensland, Australia and abides by the requirements set out by the Queensland Government which can be found here:
These are the guarantees Diff Lab makes about its products:
Diff Lab guarantees that goods will be of acceptable quality. At the time of purchase, they:
- are fit for all of their usual purposes
- are acceptable in appearance and finish
- have no defects
- are safe (for legal road use)
- are durable (for legal road use).
Diff Lab adds the following as guidance for the consumer:
- Used parts will appear used
- Used parts are fit to be used, but are not new parts
- Used parts may have some visible defects which will not affect their operation or longevity
- Diff Lab's products are safe for road use so long as they do not contain any off-road/motorsport-only internals (example BMW Motorsport parts)
- Diff Lab's products are durable enough for long-term road use. For motor racing use, this is anyone's guess. Products may need regular servicing and rebuilds if used in motorsport applications. This is the life the consumer chose and the consumer understands this.
Fit for a specific purpose
Goods are fit for the purpose for which they were intended. The caveat is that the consumer must use Diff Lab's professional advice when selecting products which meet their requirements and are fit for that specific use. Deciding the intended use after the fact is not good enough.
An example of this might be: a customer purchases an LSD to suit his or her turbocharged BMW. The customer discusses the purpose with Diff Lab and is recommended a suitable product. The customer does not change the intended use, or vehicle specifications beyond what was discussed with Diff Lab. The product works well and is covered under warranty should any problems arise.
This is a grey area when the consumer considers the horsepower and torque capabilities of differentials. A product may last for decades in one consumer's 600HP road vehicle, and fail in another customer's 300HP race vehicle with wide slicks, solid bushes and button clutch. Because conditions vary so much, it is impossible for Diff Lab to determine how much horsepower and torque any given product can safely handle. Diff Lab will suggest products which give the consumer the best chance of success. The consumer decides whether or not they are prepared to proceed. The consumer owns that decision, and must take responsibility for caring for and maintaining their Diff Lab product as to avoid failure. It is simply not the case that a consumer has grounds to severely damage a product with harsh driving, and expect Diff Lab to replace it at no cost, because Diff Lab suggested that the product was suitable for the consumer. Diff Lab relies on the consumer to provide clear and accurate information about the way in which the product will be used. It is not possible for Diff Lab to verify the accurateness of statements made by the consumer related to the intended use of the product.
If a product has been recalled because it is unsafe and no longer deemed fit for the purpose in which was supplied, Diff Lab may ask that the product is returned to be repaired or replaced.
Diff Lab's online descriptions are accurate and guaranteed to be correct. If not, Diff Lab will remedy and description and the product supplied. If Diff Lab cannot remedy the situation, the unused (in original packaging) item can be returned for a refund. This applies to new items.
Samples or demonstration models
Diff Lab does not offer samples, but may demonstrate differential or engine products in race vehicles. Diff Lab guarantees that if a product is sold as being the exact item used in the race vehicle, and the consumer purchases that product based on that advice, the product will be the same item which was demonstrated. Should any discrepancy arise, Diff Lab will remedy the situation.
Spare parts and repairs
Diff Lab keeps spare parts for most items in stock, and can source others within a reasonable time. Diff Lab provides repair facilities. Diff Lab does not pay for repairs performed elsewhere, because Diff Lab strictly, and with no exceptions whatsoever, provides this service in-house only. Any part which is subject to service or repair under warranty must meet these conditions or will cease to have any warranty either expressed or implied:
- In the case of an alleged faulty differential or parts contained within, the differential shall not be disassembled by any person other than a representative of Diff Lab.
- Diff Lab will not appoint any other differential shop to be a representative of Diff Lab.
- Draining of oil from differentials for inspection is permitted, though the oil is to be supplied to Diff Lab in a clean, sealed container.
- Diff Lab has the final say in whether any item supplied has a manufacturing defect. The consumer understands and agrees to this before purchasing.
- Diff Lab may escalate the issue to the manufacturer of a certain component if a representative of Diff Lab believes there to be a manufacturing defect present. The manufacturer will then be responsible for inspecting the component for manufacturing defects. Diff Lab will respect the manufacturer's decision, and the decision will become Diff Lab's position on the matter.
- Diff Lab will liaise with the manufacturer on the consumer's behalf to obtain warranty replacements.
- Diff Lab will cover the cost of returning goods to the manufacturer.
Available to use
Diff Lab guarantees that we will not demand goods back after the consumer has received them, so long as there is no safety issue with them. Diff Lab will also not prevent you from using them, unless it is to prevent harm to you or the product. Goods are free to use as intended and should cause no harm. Consumers are aware that on-road and off-road motor racing can cause harm, and that Diff Lab is not liable for any personal injuries caused to any person, or any harm caused to property. The customer accepts all responsibility for the dangers of motor racing, and using Diff Lab products for motor racing.
Diff Lab will not limit how the cunsumer uses goods. The consumer may do with them as they wish. Though Diff Lab may decide that the consumer no longer has any warranty either expressed or implied because the consumer is using goods outside of the agreed safe operating parameters. Diff Lab does not have to provide notice that this decision has been made until the time of a warranty claim expressed by the consumer.
This promise does not extened to illegal activity. Diff Lab's products are not for illegal use (for example illegal road racing, speeding, wheelspins, dangerous driving, etc). The consumer understands and agrees with this prior to purchasing items from Diff Lab. The consumer understands that they have no claim against Diff Lab if illegal activities with motor vehicles cause harm to a person or property.
No debts or hidden charges
There are no hidden charges behind any Diff Lab products. The amounts on the web site are the total and final amount to be paid for the item. They do not include installation, oil, rebuild kits etc, unless specified. These items are not hidden charges.
Due care and skill
Diff Lab can guarantee that all due care, competency, skill and suitable equipment is used to assemble all Diff Lab differentials. External services are used to manufacture products, and to repair specialist parts. Diff Lab guarantees that these external services are selected for their competency and excellence. Th quality of their work is at least equal to the quality of Diff Lab's work.
Finished in a reasonable time
Diff Lab guarantees that work will be completed in a reasonable time. Here are those reasonable times:
- Differential rebuild - less than 1 week
- Gear lapping and differential rebuild - less than 2 weeks
- Post online orders (item is in stock) - less than 2 days
- Supply item which is out of stock at manufacturer - enquire.
Warranties against defects
Diff Lab guarantees standard consumer rights, and does not have a specific policy on warranties against defects. Diff Lab does not guarantee against failures, because Diff Lab is in the business of producing products which are treated harshly and can be prone to failure because of the environment they operate in (motor racing, drift, rally, modified high horsepower street vehicles etc). Diff Lab understands that the products provided are used in harsh environments where they are stressed to the limit. Diff Lab makes every effort to ensure that consumers are provided with products and services which consider their indented use and stress level. Diff Lab suggests that occasionally vehicle components fail during motor racing, and that is part of the sport.
Certain products sold at Diff Lab do have warranties over and above standard consumer rights (for example MFactory, Wavetrac) and these companies may choose to replace products damaged during motor racing events, under their lifetime warranty structure. It is at the discretion of these companies as to whether these items are replaced, and it is not Diff Lab's decision.
Diff Lab's refund policy reflects standard consumer rights, but includes the following guidelines which are here to guide the consumer in making decisions about how they treat and respect Diff Lab products if they expect a refund on a purchase:
- Products modified by the consumer have no warranty whatsoever and are not subject to a refund in the even of failure or damage.
- Products found to be mistreated or misused by the consumer have no warranty whatsoever and are not subject to a refund in the event of failure or damage.
- Differential assemblies have a 12 month warranty on the new parts used only (bearings, gears, limited slip).
- Differentials assembled with used parts (to save the consumer money versus buying new parts) have a 3 month warranty on the used parts.
- Products which are installed by the consumer have a 12 month warranty against manufacturing defects only, and are not covered for damage caused by improper installation, improper setup, improper oil selection, harsh use, lack of oil or improper run-in. Diff Lab assembles differentials in-house, so there should be no reason to have a unit assembled elsewhere, risking your consumer rights by having the unit assembled by an incompetent person. Refunds are not given where an incompetent person has damaged a product purchased at Diff Lab. No compensation is paid either.
- Manufacturing defects are identified by Diff Lab should this occur. Manufacturing defects are not identified by the consumer. Diff Lab's say on whether an item contains a manufacturing defect is final. Diff Lab offers an independent review service, and the independent reviewer will be chosen by Diff Lab as a specialist in that area. The consumer will be informed that an independent review is taking place, and which specialist is performing the review. Refunds will only be given on items which are found to have manufacturing defects, without question, and with absolute certainty. If the cause of the problem is unclear and cannot be traced back to a manufacturing defect by either Diff Lab or the independent reviewer, no refund will be given. Diff Lab may opt to replace or repair the item depending on the circumstances in which the damage occurred.
Here are the reasons why Diff Lab would offer a refund:
The item has a major problem, for example:
- The item has a problem that would have stopped someone from buying the item if they had known about it (this does not mean, it's broken now, but was not broken when the consumer purchased it)
- The item is unsafe (this means it was unsafe on the date it was purchased, in the condition it was purchased in, not because it is now unsafe because the consumer has damaged it)
- The item is significantly different from the description (at the time of purchase, not after the consumer damages it)
- The item doesn’t do what we said it would, or what you asked (when it was new, not after the consumer damages it)
If the problem is not major, and the problem was caused by Diff Lab, we will repair the item within a reasonable time. If it is not repaired in a reasonable time you can choose a refund or replacement.
A final note on warranties and refunds
Diff Lab strongly, repeat strongly, suggests that differential assemblies are completed in-house at Diff Lab, by the person who knows these products best, has the best equipment, has the bespoke tools, shims, bosses and factory specifications to blueprint these differentials properly. By attempting to save a few dollars by having your Diff Lab parts installed elsewhere, the consumer is playing with fire. Diff Lab often repairs differentials assembled elsewhere, and knows the dangers of incompetence first-hand. Differentials assembled at Diff Lab do not come back with problems, but differentials assembled elsewhere seem to have no end of problems. When the consumer DIYs the work or has the work done by an incompetent person, Diff Lab may find it difficult to repair, replace or refund the item if improper assembly is the cause of the problem. The consumer is advised that the best possible after-sales service, warranty and refund terms are obtained by having the work performed in-house at Diff Lab.